Bad Karma Hypothesis

I was having a bit trouble with my PCR.so,i turn to google hoping i can find some inspiration.here's one highly "informative" website that really helped me.

...."PCR trouble shooting, help, suggestions and advice

If your PCR amplification somehow performs unexpectedly, it is usually caused by one of the listed possible errors - ranked by frequency.

Be patient and follow a standard scheme when setting up your reactions.
Avoid short-cuts, and be sure to always wear protective gloves (protects your DNA from degrading DNases and foreign DNA).

Hypotheses in order of frequency:

A. Pilot error hypothesis
B. Template dilution hypothesis
C. Temperature errors hypothesis
D. Unique template hypothesis
E. Buffer problems hypothesis
F. Bad dNTPs hypothesis
G. Bad primers hypothesis
H. Bad enzyme hypothesis

I. Bad karma hypothesis

Background:
This is basically the "God is punishing you" hypothesis. It sometimes gains a great deal of favor.

Symptoms:
- i) All rational explanations have been exhausted and yet PCR still is not working for you.
- ii) Persistent feelings of guilt (if you are a Catholic, this symptom could be misleading).

Tests and solutions:
- i) Try bungee jumping. If you survive, God must not be too hacked-off at you.
- ii) Atone for your sins and start over at the top of the flow chart. ".......

Final verdict for me: BAD KARMA....



5 comments:

kshern said...

now that's a good one! believe it or not, i think science has a lot to do with superstitions (or vice versa).

one major tip/example:
NEVER say exactly when you are finishing an analysis cos most likely, it will not end at that specified time. anyone else experienced this before?

floatin9lotus said...

really?
can i THINK about it instead of SAYing out loud? so next time my boss asks me when am i going to give him the results, i will just gaze into his eyes and think of the reply... ;)

kshern said...

well, one of my experience is that some ppl asked if i would like to ta-pau lunch but i told them i would be done soon and i will go off for lunch myself after the analysis was done.

however, the machine gave me so many problems that i went back after dinner!!! turns out, the ppl told me they have experienced such a thing happening before and advised me NEVER to specify when you will complete your analysis cos more likely than not, something will screw it up! :P

ikanrerama said...

damn....patutlah......

kryptiq,if ur boss ask me for results...can u help to think of an answer for me...i'll keep my mind blank.then both of us can gaze into his eyes together-gether...

my karma is getting from bad to worse...isk isk....

floatin9lotus said...

well, rerama, if all fails, u know what we have to do right?
jump out from the window together-gether... ;)